Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Tea Cakes Tonight (The Trump Card)

I always have a working list of things that I need to do and things that I want to do. I'm sure we all do. Over the course of the past several days, though, I've been more and more inclined to let the things that I need to do give way to the things I want to do. The things I want to do (the semi-constructive things anyway) trump whatever else I had planned originally.

Example 1: On Friday night, I was ready to tackle a stack of pants that needed to be hemmed. Considering the fact that I have fewer and fewer things these days that fit properly, I was certain that I'd be motivated to get at least the majority of them hemmed and ready to wear. Instead, as soon as I was upstairs and in my sewing room, I was thinking summer - and summer dresses - and how cute Madelyn would be this summer in her little summer dresses. So I made her one. And I love it.



Example 2: Yesterday, I readied myself to take down that stack of pants - and I was really firm in my resolve - or so I thought. But then I caught a glimpse of this striped fabric that I'd been itching to do something with - and I started thinking about wide-leg trousers - and how cute wide-leg trousers would be on a toddler: my toddler. So while Taylor was at basketball practice and Richard was out working, I made those wide-leg trousers happen. And I added a big cuff, because nothing makes wide-leg trousers cuter than a big cuff. Oh, wait - a pair of red shoes? Yeah, that's even cuter. So I absolutely love these, too. I just love them.



Which brings us to today. Today, I was honest with myself. It was 61 degrees outside this afternoon, and I knew it would just be silly to even attempt to get the "necessary" sewing done when I could be enjoying the weather. So Taylor, Madelyn, and I spent some time outside - and it was so nice! 

[Taylor isn't a fan of photos, but he never 
protests when I take "action shots."]

Today wasn't without its need-gives-way-to-want moment, though. At about 4:30, the breeze outside had made it just a little too chilly for Madelyn and me, so against Taylor's brief protest ["What?! You're cold? I'm burning up!"], we came inside. Then I wanted cookies. And then I remembered the recipe for tea cakes that I hadn't made since - a long time ago. And as soon as I thought of them, I knew that I was gonna have them, one way or another. So, despite the fact that, at that point, it was 5:00 and I had no plans whatsoever for dinner, I started on the tea cakes. And I skipped the "chill for one hour" step, because I wanted them as soon as possible. And then I made the caramel icing to go on top of them. And they were exactly like I'd remembered them. 

[Don't be fooled by this unimpressive photo. They're yummy.]

[Mmmm.]

So. Madelyn had dinner and went off to bed, and Taylor was eating dinner at his best friend's house, so  Richard and I had tea cakes. I figure we'll eat dinner at around 8:30 or so, when our appetites roll back around.

Am I saying that this should become a nightly thing? Of course not. But do I regret eating dessert first tonight? Nope. The tea cakes trumped - and I'm so glad they did!

I leave you with an image of today's first - just about every day has a first when you have a toddler, and I'm sure Madelyn was pretty proud of herself with this one!

["Where's my sippy cup?"]



No comments:

Post a Comment