Thursday, February 9, 2012

Hooray! What A Day!

To begin with, for reasons that I don't really need to share, I ended up with a last-minute appointment with my doctor this morning to check on the baby. Thankfully, we confirmed that the baby is doing really well (and is actually really fiesty!) - and then the sweet nurse told me that they could go ahead and do the fetal assessment while I was there! Yay - no more waiting!

So. I did the right thing and called Richard to confirm what I already knew that he was going to say - that he wanted us to find out the baby's gender together. And I'm gonna pat myself on the back here - I did the right thing, covered my eyes at the appropriate time during the ultrasound, let the nurse put the  ultrasound photos in an envelope, and drove all the way home without touching that tempting white envelope. (I really, really love my husband.)

Then, when I got home, I decided that I should take advantage of the opportunity to capture the gender reveal on film. So after I picked up Taylor from school, we went to buy balloons - because I had this picture in my head of a sweet little photo of the kids, holding either pink or blue balloons, commemorating the moment. But there were no helium-filled blue balloons to be found. So we bought five beautiful, shimmery, pink heart-shaped balloons - and then went from there to buy sad little cheap packaged blue balloons from Walmart. (I figured, hey, if it was a boy, we could still blow them up and scatter them around the kids for the photo.) 

Madelyn absolutely adored the balloons. She "ooh"ed and "aah"ed the whole way home. And the closer we got to home, the more excited I got about the idea of this super-adorable photo. I also decided that we'd first take a shot at catching Richard's and my reaction on camera. But then we got home - and Richard had just pulled into the driveway - which meant that he'd just gotten off work - which meant that he was really, really dirty. And he said what I knew he'd say - that he didn't want his picture taken. So I begged a little (just a little, because I have a super-sweet husband who knew how much it meant to me and didn't really need much to be persuaded). 

So Richard changed his clothes, and he threw on a hat, and we went outside (because I absolutely love natural light and absolutely hate taking indoor photos when I have the option of an outdoor photo). And that's how sweet Taylor became a photographer. And I have to say - for his first time, I'm quite  impressed with him. The pictures are just what they're supposed to be - they captured the moment.


(It took us a minute to find the right photo...) 

(We found it!) 


(And this is Richard's I'm-really-excited-but-terrified face.)

The funniest thing, though? Richard and I were so giddy and giggly, Taylor started jumping up and down saying, "I was right?! I was right?! It's a boy?!" So we had to show him that, no, it is, in fact, a girl! [Hip-hip-hooray! Insert cheers here! And also, for the record, I need to say: I was right! I was right! Mother's intuition was right this time!] 

And then I remembered the beautiful pink balloons - so I ran inside to get them, got the kids situated in the yard, and started to help Taylor tie his shoes - but forgot that I was the only one holding the balloons. So before I realized what was happening, they were sailing off into the distance.

(What a sad sight!)

I was bummed - mostly because I'd gone to the trouble of making a stop and buying the balloons and hadn't gotten any benefit from them (but also because they were just so darn adorable). I did get this sweet photo, though - and I certainly won't forget this day! 


 And, to end on another funny note, I have this photo to share: 

[After we came back inside, Taylor made a slight change to my chalkboard sign.
I think that the news may take a little while to sink in. 
Good thing he's so crazy about his sister Madelyn!]  









2 comments:

  1. I love this! Your family is so wonderful! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so in love with reading your blog posts! Congrats again!

    ReplyDelete