Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Name Crisis Averted!

I know that the naming process really hasn't dragged on nearly as long as I feel that it has, but since Madelyn was named before she was even conceived [Yes, really - as a matter of fact, we picked the name Madelyn for our hypothetical baby girl on the airplane en route to our honeymoon destination!], it feels that it has taken forever to name this one! After going through quite a lengthy list of [my] favorites, though, Richard and I have finally settled on a name that both of us love. Our problem up until now: I had enough names to name about twenty girls, and Richard vetoed almost every one of them! His major complaint: Most of the names I liked sounded "grandmotherly" to him. I personally love that older names (names that were popular, yes, when our grandmothers were born) are coming back around, but he just couldn't get past the fact that those he presently knows who carry those names also have gray hair. Anyhow, without further adieu, I'm proud to announce our second sweet baby girl will be named...


Now, I have a request: Please refrain from pointing out the fact that the name Elsie technically fits into the older-names-that-are-coming-back-around category, because I really lucked-out here. Richard apparently doesn't know of any older ladies that carry that name, and he happens to really like the name!

And to answer a couple of questions that I've already been asked:
- Elsie is pronounced ELL-see.
- She will go by Elsie. [Olivia was originally our first choice, but we've decided to use it as a middle name, because we know that it's a really popular name right now and that there are Olivias popping up all over the place.]

And not because anyone asked but because I want to share, a few side notes:
- Taylor absolutely cannot pronounce "Olivia." It always comes out as "uh-LIH-dee-uh." (I think it's supremely cute that his eight-year-old self still has something that it can't pronounce!)
- Madelyn can say "Elsie" on command. It comes out as "eh-EE." (Ah! Melt my heart!)

We're all pretty excited.


1 comment: